This dish is a creation of my own however the idea of doing a big piece of polenta came from one of my biggest food idols – Ottolenghi (from ‘Plenty’):
1/2 cup polenta
1 cup of pumpkin – I always have some in the fridge as it is such a versatile vegetable so cook a cup or so.
1/4 cup parmesan or grana padano, finely grated
1/4 cup parsley, chopped or just w stem off
1/2 small red chilli – or more if you like it hot
1. Roast or bake pumpkin
2. Wash & chop parsley. Set aside
3. When cooked, let the pumpkin cool
4. Grate parmesan (or any cheese; or just omit this step if you want a vegan version)
5. Cook polenta as per packet instructions, making sure to stir in parmesan. This photo is half a cup of polenta.
6. Cut a piece of baking paper & put on a flat surface (a plate or chopping board).
7. Spread the polenta quickly & quite thin on the baking paper (polenta is quite dense so the dish is too heavy if not spread thin), then too w pumpkin, parsley, chilli or whatever toppings you like.
8. Drizzle a couple of teaspoons of olive oil over the top & put under grill at 180-200 degrees Celsius for 15 or so minutes. Every oven is different so please be careful to look at it regularly! It’s ready when it starts to look a bit crispy on the edges & starts to become golden