With less than 3 weeks til Christmas & the suggestion from daycare that each family shares a Christmas tradition, I decided on making gingerbread with my boys.
The recipe was vegan, refined sugar free, gluten free & dairy free.
About three quarters made it to the oven – I cut out the first batch & popped straight in the oven, then gave the boys each about one quarter to make what they wanted on it. My 4 year old pulled the head off a fairy he had made from a cutter & said it was a ball & put it under another fairy’s arm, then rolled up another ball & put it on the fairy’s chest & said it was a boob. While I was enthralled by my 4 year old’s imagination, my 2 1/2 year old ate ALL of his, thankfully it was fine to eat raw, so I think this could be the start of an amusing tradition!
2 1/4 cups Almond meal (I have also made using 1 cup almond meal & remaining 1 1/4 cups buckwheat flour & rice flour)
1/2 cup Flaxseed
2 tspns Cinnamon
2 tspns Ginger
1 tspn Nutmeg
50ml Olive oil
2 tbspns Rice malt syrup
Dates x 4
Chia ‘egg’ (1 tbspn chia seeds mixed w 3 tbspns water, then let it sit for 15 mins)
1 tspn vanilla
1. Blend almond meal, dates & spices in food processor
2. Add olive oil, vanilla, rice malt syrup & chia egg. Blend again – at his stage mine formed into a big ball.
3. Line a tray with baking paper – pop the dough on the baking paper & roll it out into an even thickness. Pop another sheet of baking paper on top. Throw I the fridge & set the timer for 1 hour.
4. Put the oven on at 150 degrees.
5. Cut into desired shapes, then pop in the oven for 20 mins
Makes 24 biscuits
The original recipe was from Teresa Cutter: http://www.thehealthychef.com/2012/11/gluten-free-gingerbread-men/