Oh buckwheat, we’ve been friends a couple of years now but you never cease to surprise me in a world of increasing glutards (this fabulous term was stolen by me when a customer called the restaurant I worked for & warned me they had a “glutard” ie someone requiring a gluten-free meal). I am currently a glutard so no offence is intended.
2 carrots (I used purple but it’s your call)
1 cup buckwheat flour (I just grind buckwheat groats in a spice grinder)
3 eggs (use organic eggs, kids)
2 tbspns coconut oil
1.5 teaspoons vanilla powder (I use Heilala brand)
1 tspn bicarb
1. Throw banana, carrot & vanilla into the blender until almost smooth.
2. Pour banana/carrot mix into a bowl. Add coconut oil & stir.
3. In a separate little bowl, crack the 3 eggs & just give them a little whisk with a fork so they are well mixed.
4. Add the eggs into the mixing bowl, then bicarb, then the buckwheat flour & stir til all mixed well.
5. Tip into a loaf tin (I use a silicone one) & cook for 50 mins at 180 degrees Celsius.
As there is no sweetener added, it is not overly sweet, but is not savoury enough to be a ‘bread’. I guess you could cut a slice & spread on some rice malt syrup or honey or my current favourite sugar-free berry jam.
I love it & hope you will too. Let me know how you go if you bake it at home.
Much love, Alice AKA 6CI