Well hey, it’s Friday here in Australia & with a forecast of 29 degrees & torturous humidity in our second week of Autumn, there’s no better excuse for a smoothie.
This one is vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, no cane sugar, no soy, no preservatives, no grains, but plenty of good fats, naturally occuring sugars (banana) & protein.
Remainder of a jar of certified organic Mayver’s peanut butter & coconut (or plain peanut butter is also fine). I estimated there was abour 1/4 cup or less in the jar
2 bananas, frozen overnight
1/4 cup coconut milk, frozen overnight
2 tablespoons chia seeds, soaked in 1/4 cup water
1/4 cup coconut oil
4 tablespoons cacao
**optional: 1 teaspoon vanilla & 1 teaspoon cinnamon. I add these 2 ingredients to almost everything!
Substitutes: if you’re anything like me, you see a recipe & you need to make it. now. But then you check your pantry…..chia seeds are purely a nutritional boost & won’t affect the smoothie. No coconut milk? Just add a little extra banana. No peanut butter? Almond butter would also be delicious in this combination.
1. Soak the chia seeds in water, stir occasionally. They should be done in 5 minutes
2. While chia seeds are soaking, scoop about half of the remaining PB out of the jar (this will go on top at the end). Set aside in a little bowl.
2. On a low heat in a small saucepan, combine the cacao & coconut oil – this stuff is awesome, when poured on the (frozen) smoothie, it goes hard almost immediately like a healthy ice-magic.
3. Blend bananas, coconut milk, chia mix, vanilla & cinnamon (if using)
4. Pour frozen mixture into the jar. Top with remaining peanut butter, then slowly drizzle over the chocolate mix. You may have some remaining which can be frozen in moulds
5. Eat. immediately. Probably best to share it.