I was excited about making these pops, more about the aesthetics than the taste but when I tasted them it was like an ice-cream with a hard chocolate shell yet the “ice-cream” & “chocolate” is completely vegan.
4 bananas, peeled then stick a paddle pop stick in, then freeze in glad wrap / cling film for 24 hours
1/2 cup cacao
1/2 cup coconut oil
Rice malt syrup (allow for maximum 1/4 cup but it is a personal taste)
OPTIONAL ADDITIONS TO DECORATE
I like to take things at a leisurely pace in the kitchen but for this recipe you need to work fast bc of the raw vegan chocolate going solid.
Fill a bowl 3/4 full w boiling water.
Place the bowl you are making the chocolate in, over the bowl of boiling water to ensure it stays warm.
1. Mix 1/2 cup cacao & 1/2 cup coconut oil together in a bowl
2. add rice malt syrup & continually mix & taste to get to your desired sweetness, keeping in mind that the banana it is going on is already sweet so doesn’t need too much (you can use an alternate sweetener such as Maple Syrup)
3. Once you are ready, simply dip the banana in the melted chocolate sauce. The biggest issue I encountered was by dipping the banana to the bottom of the bowl, the top of the banana kind of melted (rookie error, I know).
4. Repeat – one layer is not enough & doesn’t look thick enough.
5. If you’re going to decorate – now is your chance to roll quickly in coconut / goji berries / chopped almonds.
These taste so good – be sure to give to your friends who don’t think vegans can enjoy good treats!
I kept these in the freezer in a sealed plastic container for about a week.