I made this “nice-cream” or vegan ice-cream or whatever you choose to call it because I have been getting mighty bored of the whinging of “Whats for afternoon teeeeeeea?” the whole walk home from school! You could add any supplements you enjoy to pimp the nutrient content.
250g frozen mixed berries
150g coconut yoghurt
100g coconut water
Blend until you reach desired consistency – I use the Thermomix on speed 5 for about 20 seconds
Enjoy immediately or pour into a reusable glass container & pop in the freezer
Oh buckwheat, we’ve been friends a couple of years now but you never cease to surprise me in a world of increasing glutards (this fabulous term was stolen by me when a customer called the restaurant I worked for & warned me they had a “glutard” ie someone requiring a gluten-free meal). I am currently a glutard so no offence is intended.
2 carrots (I used purple but it’s your call) 1 cup buckwheat flour (I just grind buckwheat groats in a spice grinder) 3 eggs (use organic eggs, kids) 2 tbspns coconut oil
1.5 teaspoons vanilla powder (I use Heilala brand) 1 tspn bicarb
1. Throw banana, carrot & vanilla into the blender until almost smooth.
2. Pour banana/carrot mix into a bowl. Add coconut oil & stir.
3. In a separate little bowl, crack the 3 eggs & just give them a little whisk with a fork so they are well mixed.
4. Add the eggs into the mixing bowl, then bicarb, then the buckwheat flour & stir til all mixed well.
5. Tip into a loaf tin (I use a silicone one) & cook for 50 mins at 180 degrees Celsius.
As there is no sweetener added, it is not overly sweet, but is not savoury enough to be a ‘bread’. I guess you could cut a slice & spread on some rice malt syrup or honey or my current favourite sugar-free berry jam.
I love it & hope you will too. Let me know how you go if you bake it at home.